Beauty and serenity is all around us, it lies in the forgotten, the hidden and the ignored - we
must look in the shadows and search if we are to be truly at ease in this world. Carly Johnson

Monday, September 20, 2010

Knitting Needle Bracelets Tutorial

Got some knitting needles but cant knit?  Don't throw them away, turn them into bangles instead!  This tutorial is for PLASTIC knitting needles only! Do not try to melt the aluminum ones in a pan, it probably isn't going to work.  WARNING: the plastic may give off toxic fumes so make sure you are working in a well ventilated area and that you are wearing a mask - also some of the chemicals may be absorbed by your pan so it is best to use one that you are not going to cook with.

1.  Place your knitting needles in a pan of boiling water - treat them like you would spaghetti if your pan isn't quite big enough (but don't simmer them) -  and boil for 10-15mins.
2.  Use tongs to fish one out.  Test to see if it is pliable enough to bend to shape.  If not keep boiling for a bit longer. 
3.  Wrap the needle around a glass or other cylindrical shaped object you have - remember to use oven gloves as the needle may be hot.  I have asbestos hands (so says my husband) so I hand shaped mine as I found it easier - I did burn my thumb slightly in the process so don't say I didn't warn you - I found the non-pointy ends retained the heat, that's what I burnt my thumb on!
4.  Hold in place until cool and set or put them into a bowl of cold water to speed the process up.
5.  Leave on a towel or draining board to dry.
6.  Don't worry if the shaping has not gone to plan - you can always pop it back in to boil and try again - don't force your needle or it may break.

* you may find that the "knobs" or labels may come off in the boiling process - don't worry you can always glue these back on afterwards.

Here are some close-up shots of a couple of bangles:

You could also maybe try making brooches by bending one into an S shape and keeping the other straight - great for a wool shrug maybe?

TOODLE-PIPS
xx

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. It's unique token for crafting people to wear...as a kind of signature. I love that you are making all of your Christmas presents. I'm about to start soon myself.

    ReplyDelete