Beauty and serenity is all around us, it lies in the forgotten, the hidden and the ignored - we
must look in the shadows and search if we are to be truly at ease in this world. Carly Johnson

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Raising Money for the School

Last year, to raise money for the school, they held a Christmas shopping evening where local people could 'buy' a table and sell their wares - it was suggested that I go and sell some of my crocheted items - I went, I sold, I took orders and I learned that I didn't really want to do it again - my mania had crashed long before then so I literally had to drag myself there to see at least one thing out that year!

So, this year they may be holding another shopping evening (I've not actually found out for sure yet, but if not they always have a Christmas Fayre and that would be as good a place as any - why they could even do it at both!)  This year, I am going to make things to be sold except I'm not going doing it for personal gain.  Instead, 100% of the money taken will go straight back to the school - and what am I selling?  Upcycled Gift Wrap of course!  Here is my plan:

60 packets of ribbon @ £2 each = £120
60 packets of bows @ £2 each = £120
60 packets of tags @ £1 each = £60
TOTAL = £300

I think that's pretty good going just for giving up a few evenings of my time don't you?

Although I'm dubious as to how much people should pay for the gift bows, the come in packs of 8 so I'm not sure whether the school should charge £1, £1.50 or £2 - how much would people be prepared to pay? The more money they charge the more money they make, but if something is too dear then less people might buy them and the school could actually make less money - see my dilemma - maybe I should just let the school decide after they know their options.

Two reels of ribbon takes 10minutes and I managed to do ten of them today - only fifty more to do then! - but I find them strangely enjoyable to do (maybe its because there is a screwdriver involved, plus the fact its super quick?) but it is with the bows where in lies the rub!  60 packets of 8 bows means 480 bows in total and as there are 10 squares to each one (9 of which are folded) there are 4800 squares!!!  It seems a never ending task, and then when those are complete I'll have to start on the 480 gift wrap tags with pre-cut strings!!

Luckily I haven't actually informed the school yet so if it never comes to fruition I haven't let anyone down, but I'd love to see their faces when I donate all this stock that they can sell - it would almost be as good as writing the cheque out myself (if I had that kind of money to just give away of course!).  Wish me luck....

TOODLE-PIPS
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment